Monday, October 14, 2013

MIddle Grades Reader's Theaters and Novel Units...My TPT Obsession!

As most who read my blog know, I am on maternity leave for this 2013-2014 school year.  For a teacher like me, that is a really tricky thing...

I adore being home.  Having this time with my family has been a true gift.  Getting to coach soccer, being able to take my 7 month old to Babybees (baby gymnastics, kind of ridiculous, I know, but it is FREE) on Tuesday mornings, watching my daughter at Tumblebees (not free and very necessary) on Fridays, attending PTO meetings at my son's school, volunteering more, and the walking my son and daughter to and from school has been incredible!  The moments I am getting to experience that I would not have if my son Landon hadn't blessed our lives, are priceless and I am truly grateful!

But...there are moments in my day when I think about the last 15 years I have spent working my tail off as a teacher!  I LOVE being a teacher.  I love the excitement of a lesson that goes off without a hitch, the enthusiasm of the students when they find it impossible to put down that AMAZING novel, the feedback from a teammate, and the day-to-day tasks that go along with working with kids.  There is not a better profession, aside from maybe being an ice cream taste-tester!

So, I have had to come up with a balance of my new reality.  While I am home experiencing all of these great things with my family, I have also kept my foot in my teaching world.  Enter Teachers Pay Teachers...

 While I will not be the next Deanna Jump making a million plus dollars selling resources I have created, I have enjoyed fine-tuning some of the tried and true resources I have developed and utilized with my students in order to place in my own Teachers Pay Teachers store.

While my Crash unit, Because of Winn Dixie, and Boxcar Children, and Young Cam Jansen bundle have been fun putting together, my newest obsession is writing reader's theater scripts.  I love utilizing these with my students, as I have talked about in previous posts.  Allowing my students to get lost in a character all while working on fluency and comprehension is learning at its best!

I have written three high-interest, CCSS, realistic fiction scripts that I can not wait to try next year!  They are all based on true events, which allow for a whole lot of positive discussion: "what would you do in that same situation?"In addition, each comes with reader response questions and summary organizers to enhance student comprehension.

So if you are looking for some Middle Grades Reader's Theater scripts with 12-13 characters to try right away with your students, check out my most recent labors of love!)

This Reader's Theater Bundle consists of three different scripts. Each script has 12-13 characters and is 8+pages in length.  Reader Response questions and a summary organizer follow each script.  I have truly loved writing them and would love to hear what you and your students think!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Readers-Theater-for-the-Middle-Grades-CCSS-BUNDLE-3-SCRIPT-FUN-PACKS-923064

Until my next link to the teaching world is ready...
 




Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, 15 October, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

I love your Readers Theater and have one in my cart for next week. I will let you know how it goes!

 
At Wednesday, 16 October, 2013 , Blogger Erin Beers said...

Joanne,
Thanks for letting me know! I can't wait to hear!

 
At Thursday, 17 October, 2013 , Blogger Traveling Thru Sixth said...

I broke down and used the Readers Theater with all of my ELA 6 students and they loved it. They are all hams and will do anything to get up in front of their peers. One class is small so they each had two roles which made it even more fun! Thanks for the great product and keep them coming!

Joanne M
Come visit and follow me at Traveling Though Sixth

 
At Thursday, 17 October, 2013 , Blogger Erin Beers said...

Yay! I found your blog! Did I miss where I can comment? Sorry to hear about the paper plates vs. novels episode...I have to say that it has been nice stepping away for this year from all of the nonsense that comes with our profession. We have had some issues with money and field trips. It is truly enough at times to make a person crazy. I do miss the students and my amazing team. That has been the tricky part. For now, however, I will hang out in my blissful world (most days) at home with my kiddos creating things that I had no time to create when I was teaching full-time!)

Anyway-so glad your students liked the reader's theater. I will keep brainstorming the crazy events of years past to come up with new ones. Thanks so much for keeping me posted on how they went. I will keep checking in with you in hopes that you somehow get those novels you were hoping for.

Happy Friday!
Erin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home