Friday, March 13, 2015

Lucky You! Blog Hop!

The reasons why I am lucky...
I have an AMAZING FAMILY and I have had experiences in my life that have made me the not overly sensitive person I am!  I feel lucky to be able to laugh about things, myself included, and not take myself or others so seriously!

For example...When I think of St. Patrick's Day I have a few memories of this LUCKY & GREEN day...

In elementary school it was a BIG deal to wear green.  I specifically remember in 5th and 6th grade, our teachers would walk around and observe all  of the green we were wearing.  The individual that wore the most green on this particular day always won some prize.  I never won, so I have no idea what the cool prize even was.  Green was NEVER my favorite color!  I believe the only green I ever wore was my Boston Celtics t-shirt.  As I think back, it makes me laugh!  As a 6th grade teacher today, I am just glad my students are dressed appropriately-any sort of seasonal or holiday spirit is a bonus, right?!

My second memory is the cleverness of "Erin Go Braugh!"  The meaning of this phrase is, "Ireland Forever!"  An extra special thanks to all of the thoughtful companies that made t-shirts and buttons with this spirited mantra.  For an elementary and middle schooler with the name Erin, there were so many creative phrases made-up by my kind peers with my name that had nothing to do with Ireland, but more to do with my wearing female undergarments!  AWESOME!

I hope your memories of this Irish holiday make you laugh a bit as well.  I have come around on the color green and I still giggle when I see "Erin Go Braugh!"

Onto my green-inspired FREEBIE!  Growing up in New England we were HUGE Boston Celtics fans.  The Celtics played four games a year at the Hartford Civic Center and we always had those 4-game season tickets.  I have always loved basketball and still think about the AMAZING basketball legends that I got to see in person competing for and against the Celtics: Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Robert Parrish, Dennis Johnson, Kevin McHale, Charles Barkley, Spud Webb, Minute Boll, Carl Malone, John Stockton, Dominique Wilkins, etc.

So with this GREEN holiday and MARCH MADNESS, I wrote a few CLOSE Reading passages for you to share with your upper elementary students.  My students LOVE to read about athletes, so I try to keep as many of these high-interest passages on hand for test prep, morning work, "I'm finished, now what?", etc.  Grab them below and use them how you see fit!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Boston-Celtics-and-Larry-Bird-Close-Reading-FREEBIE-1761033

Now head to my friend Ali's blog to find another incredible FREE upper elementary resource.
http://teachingpoweredbycaffeine.blogspot.com/2015/03/lucky-you-its-blog-hop.html
 
post signature

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Friday, 13 March, 2015 , Blogger Pinkadots Elementary said...

This looks great! My class, especially the boys, will be hooked! Thanks for sharing.
Theresa
Pinkadots Elementary

 
At Friday, 13 March, 2015 , Blogger Deb Hanson said...

I love this! I can't wait to read them myself!! Thank you!

 
At Friday, 13 March, 2015 , Blogger Fancy Free in 4th said...

I love that you took something you love and turned it into a CLOSE read! Thanks for linking up!
Layla

Fancy Free in Fourth

 
At Friday, 13 March, 2015 , Blogger Ali said...

The boys in my class are gonna LOVE this close read! They're basketball nuts---playing every single recess! Thanks!
Ali'Teaching Powered by Caffeine

 
At Saturday, 14 March, 2015 , Blogger Inspired Owl's Corner said...

Love your St. Paddy's stories! Thank you for the close reads!

 
At Saturday, 14 March, 2015 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much! And your St. Patrick's Day memories cracked me up. :)
Crystal
www.funandlearningatbba.blogspot.com

 
At Saturday, 14 March, 2015 , Blogger Theresa said...

Making copies as we speak.... THANKS!

 
At Saturday, 14 March, 2015 , Blogger Sra. Carro said...

Perfect freebie for a green theme! I can't believe you don't like green - it's my favorite! :P Thanks for sharing!
FlapJack

 
At Sunday, 15 March, 2015 , Blogger Lopez Land Learners said...

We share that the only green shirt we had were Boston Celtics shirts!!!!!!!! Growing up a huge Bird fan it was pretty hilarious when I married a Magic and Kareem fan!! Seriously, UGH!! :-) Love these 2 close reads!!! Perfect for my often reluctant male readers!!

Susan
LopezLandLearners

 
At Monday, 16 March, 2015 , Blogger Mrs. Mack said...

Brilliant! This Boston-bred teacher is in heaven!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home