Thursday, October 2, 2014

Harvest of FREEBIES Blog Hop



Thanks for hopping over...

Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year!  I love the cool, crisp mornings that heat up in the afternoons, the fun of all of the Halloween festivities, the anticipation of my children's costume choices, and everything PUMPKIN!  I know many others who share this same sentiment about fall as well.  With this love of fall, the harvest season, we have decided to create a blog hop to share a "Harvest of Freebies" for you to take back to your classroom.  I have created TWO freebies for you to utilize with your upper elementary to middle school students...

The first, Pumpkin Harvesting, is an informational close reading text with word work and reader response questions.  I utilize close reading passages with my students that are struggling with comprehension and having challenges going back into a reading selection to cite evidence to determine correct responses.  While we work on these skills throughout the year, I am always in need of high-interest passages that I can use for whole class, small group, or independent practice.

This Pumpkin Harvesting Close Reading FREEBIE will help your students:
  1. better understand/reinforce CLOSE READING strategies
  2. identify how to harvest pumpkins
  3. determine the meaning of unknown words using context clues
  4. cite evidence from the one-page text to support responses. 
 Click the image to grab FREEBIE #1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WRApjFnFcTak5aTi04Yzh5QUE/view?usp=sharing


One of the favorite things my family loves most about fall is a small festival we go to each year.  It is called the Harvest Moon Festival.  The festival is at one of our favorite family parks and it has fun for everyone.  We paint pumpkins and trick-or-treat bags, watch puppet shows, make S'mores, and eat too much Kettle corn.  Rather than just wonder about why it is called the Harvest Moon Festival, I decided to do a little research about it this year.  As a reading teacher, I chose to turn the fun of this festival and my research, into a reader's theater FREEBIE to share a little bit about its meaning as well as create a resource that an upper elementary or middle school teacher can utilize as a Daily 5 resource.

I love utilizing reader's theater scripts in my classroom to excite my students about different topics.  They are also the perfect tool to enhance fluency and comprehension.  My students LOVE to perform and are so enthusiastic every time they have the opportunity tackle a script.  This 9-page resource allows for students to engage in a high-interest passage while they: read to someone, listen to reading, focus on word work, read to self to check for understanding, and focus on writing. 

This Harvest Moon FREEBIE includes:
-clear directions for seamless implementation
-CCSS covered
-a 2-page, 6-character script so multiple groups can perform
-context clue word work
-reader response questions
-a post-reading journal prompt to enhance student writing

Click the image to grab FREEBIE #2

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Harvest-Moon-Readers-Theater-CCSS-Toolkit-FREEBIE-1450133

Use these tools in collaboration with one another to enhance student work with fictional and informational text.

Be sure to click the pumpkin to collect another freebie!
 http://readingandthinkingoutloud.blogspot.com/2014/10/harvest-of-freebies.html


post signature

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Friday, 03 October, 2014 , Blogger Colleen Noffsinger said...

Two awesome freebies, Erin! I can't wait to put them to good use with my students. Thanks so much for sharing! ;)
Literacy Loving Gals

 
At Saturday, 04 October, 2014 , Blogger SENCO Cat Herder said...

Wow! TWO top quality resources and free - how generous are you? Thank you so much for sharing - have left feedback on TpT too :)

 
At Saturday, 04 October, 2014 , Blogger The Meek Moose said...

Very nice job. I think the close reading passage will actually be great for my above grade level readers in my second grade classroom. Thanks!
~Heather
The Meek Moose

 
At Saturday, 04 October, 2014 , Blogger Lopez Land Learners said...

Perfect seasonal reading activities!! Thank you!! So many wonderful blog hops this weekend!! I would like to invite you to Swing by my blog to grab a seasonal writing activity for upper grades...it is part of the Tricks and Treats Blog Hop! So impressed with the quality of goodies this weekend! Thank you for making my day.. this is awesome!

Susan
LopezLandLearners

 
At Sunday, 05 October, 2014 , Blogger The Literacy Nest said...

This freebie looks fabulous! Thank you so much!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home