Sunday, September 9, 2012

A few of my favorite things...

Perfect thoughts, BOGGLE Boards, and highly-motivated, example-setting students...

A blog I follow is technologyrocksseriously.com.  If you haven't checked out this blog-you need to head there immediately...

Last week, Shannon published these really adorable FREE printables that fit perfectly into my classroom.  I LOVE quotes, especially cute, colorful, FREE ones that can be placed throughout my learning space as reminders to myself and my students.  While I am still in search of those "perfect spaces" around the room-take a look at how perfect they are....

I am sure you can find a use for them in your classroom!

Shannon also has available for download BOGGLE Board letters to match pretty much any classroom color scheme.  My BOGGLE Board has been a huge hit with my students this year!  I am GRATEFUL to whomever first posted it on Pinterest because I utilize it as an enrichment tool for Daily 3-"Word Work."

We are on week #3 and my students have L-O-V-E-D the challenge of finding as many words as possible within the letter grids.  The dictionaries are being utilized to determine if "what is believed to be a word really is a word," which is a most exciting thing to see as a language arts teacher.

This is a photo of week #1.  I have to admit I didn't know that "bole" was a word.  Upon sharing this, a few of my 6th graders quickly raced to grab a dictionary and whip them open to show me that in fact a bole is "a trunk or torso of a tree."  The old adage, "You learn something new everyday" holds true!

 
This Friday as I was collecting the students' BOGGLE Boards, a student turned her board in with a piece of lined notebook paper that was completely FULL of writing.   At first I thought it was just an extended list of words, which I thought to be exciting, but it was so much more than that...

This student, Ashley, found a number of different words within the letter grid that she wanted to make sure I knew were REAL words.  Therefore, each word she listed had a part of speech and dictionary definition to prove it was a word. 

I was so IMPRESSED by her efforts, I gave her 10 Bulldog Bucks and I am now off to send her mom an e-mail to let her know just how much I appreciate her initiative as a "word detective" and her enthusiasm for learning.

You made my week, Ms. Ashley!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home