Friday, September 14, 2012

My Favorite Maybe...a 6th grade music video about I-PICK books

If you want your students to remember something-put it to music!  I LOVE MUSIC!  I listen to it loudly in my car, my own kiddos LOVE to sing and dance, and each morning when I come into the classroom I log-on to my Rhapsody account and my classroom playlist begins.

I find music to be energizing and calming, and I try to share that energizing/calmness with my students.  While music has always been an essential in my life-I am not particularly musical.  I was not talented at the violin, flute, or the piano, but I have always loved to sing-despite my not so talented voice.

When my son, Brennan came along, I found that I turned EVERYTHING into song...I have a song for bathtime, bedtime, wake-up time, and every action in between.  Now both of my children sing these silly tunes.  This "song creating" has also impacted my teaching.  I often sing directions to my students, to their utter dismay.

This year I have a group of very musical students.  Boys and girls alike LOVE to sing.  I LOVE THIS FACT!  Before school even began, I was inspired by all of the reading I had done on implementing the Daily 5 into my classroom.  I laid in bed one night unable to sleep with the anticipation of the coming school year and the lyrics to a song came to me about I-Pick books to the tune of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe."  I have shared the song below, which I shared in a different blog post at the beginning of the school year...
I shared the song with my students during the first week of school.  I played it here and there and as they began to memorize the words focusing on "I-PICK" books, they began to add movement and a whole lot of enthusiasm for the song.  I enlisted the music teacher to practice at the end of music class this week and asked the students if they would like to STAR in their very own music video.  The response was overwhelming!

Take a look at my talented, enthusiastic, and MUSICAL 6th graders in "My Favorite Maybe"...


W ho would have thought 6th grade boys and girls would by jammin' about books?! I view these awesome 6th graders in a completely different light.  They are a hoot! If you are looking for students to remember concepts you teach and share, incorporate music into your classroom.  Write a song and get your kiddos to star in a music video! 




Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, 14 September, 2012 , Blogger Megan said...

This is incredible! I absolutely love this and I know my students will as well! Thanks so much for sharing the idea :).

 
At Sunday, 16 September, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

video won't play...says it's private

 
At Monday, 17 September, 2012 , Blogger Erin Beers said...

I made the video public, so it should be able to be viewed now! Thanks for letting me know.

-Erin

 
At Tuesday, 18 September, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, awesome work! so fun :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home