Friday, October 5, 2012

There is ALWAYS something to write about...Sub needed for all 5 days!

While I know this is a teaching blog that mostly focuses on my students and teaching, I also find that I have the opportunity to share the events of my family and life through my own personal writings.  In addition, as I expect my 6th graders to keep Writer's Notebooks, I try to set a good example as a thoughtful writer and I keep mine in the form of a blog.  "There is ALWAYS something to write about" is kind of one mantra I share with my students.  Well here's a doozy...

Last Sunday night we headed to bed with one kid recovering from croup-the barky-coughing-that-sounds-like- your-child-swallowed-a-chiuhuahua-kind-of-cough and one kiddo seemingly recovering from a weekend of battling a stomach bug.  On Monday morning after a trip to the pediatrician-our week went from recovering to a bit CRAZY!

The pediatrician took one look at my son, Brennan, and told us that she needed us to head straight down to the Cincinnati Children's Hospital emergency room for what she believed to be viral meningitis.  As this initial diagnosis hit me, I began to tear up thinking, "This is what school districts send home letters to the parents of students to warn them about cases that have been found in their schools."  Oh dear!  While doing my best to keep my composure, as my son was in the backseat, I called my husband to share the news, "We are headed to the emergency room because the doctor thinks his neck pain is linked to meningitis.  I will call you when I have some news."

The entire drive down I am thinking, "We were just supposed to be going to the doctor to get an antibiotic and then go home and snuggle.  This was not in the plan for today."  The doctor thought that there could be some link to all of our playing outside, linked to mosquito bites, leading to West Nile, which can be an onset of viral meningitis.  Good Lord, I spray my kiddos with bug spray excessively, what have I missed?

The check-in at Children's was a little alarming-the doctor had called to let them know we were sent there, so they were ready for us.  My son was immediately issued a mask to wear over his mouth, and once in the room, everyone in contact with us wore a mask.  A little intimidating for a six-year-old, but he handled it like a champ.  Once in the room he was poked, prodded, and poked and prodded some more.  We were sent to radiology to get x-rays, to get an ultrasound, and finally it was determined six hours later that he did not have viral meningitis, but he had Lymphadenitis, and we would be admitted.

After some research and lots of medical terminology thrown our way-we learned that this is an inflammation of the lymph nodes caused by a bacterial infection.  It is triggered in six to eight-year-olds due to a gap in their throat.  It is treated by antibiotics or worse, surgery.  It causes great pain to the neck as well as limits movement of the neck.  90% of the time it can be treated with antibiotics, but 10% of the time, it will result in surgery to lance any sort of fluid pocket that has formed around the lymph nodes.  I do not think I have ever prayed so hard...

Four days and many doses of fluids and antibiotics later, my son was released from the hospital.  No surgery, just antibiotics for the next 7 days, a few follow-up doctor visits, and lots of rest and snuggle time.  I have always adored my son.  He is thoughtful, smart, funny, witty, clever, kind-hearted, athletic, and a joy to be around, but after this, I view him in a completely different light.  After four days in the hospital he says walking down the hallway, "I am really gonna miss this place.  The nurses are so nice to me."  Cincinnati Children's Hospital is an AMAZING place with amazing people, but I will not be missing it one bit!  He is one resilient kiddo and I am grateful to all that took such great care of him this week!  As a thanks, we have a Halloween bucket of goodies to bring to those superstar 6th Floor nurses.  Liz and Lilly, you were the BEST!

I am grateful for all of the extra snuggle time I got in with my sweet boy this week, which I will cherish, but I am most excited to be back home as a WHOLE family, and will be thrilled that my son gets to go back to school, and personally to walk back into school on Monday morning and return to our "normal life" routine.  What a week!  Special thanks to my Sharpsburg family for the prayers and thoughtful gift cards.  You have no idea how much your happy thoughts and support have meant this week!  Certainly, something to write about...

My brave boy learning to play pool in the activity center at Children's.


Labels:

3 Comments:

At Friday, 05 October, 2012 , Blogger Maria Eshman said...

I am SOOOO thankful that your sweet, little boy will be bouncing around again soon! :) This little ones keep us on our toes, for sure.

See you soon!!!
Maria

 
At Saturday, 06 October, 2012 , Blogger Megan said...

So glad your son is home safe and sound!!!!

Megan

I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

 
At Sunday, 07 October, 2012 , Blogger sarah said...

Wow-glad he is home and on the mend. How stressful for all of you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home